Every year as part of my high school curriculum I teach a short story unit where we read and analyze several different stories from a variety of authors. One of the things I always point out is the key elements of an excellent short:
1. A limited number of characters
2. A single issue
3. The main character is dynamic and round
4. Strong theme
5. Twist or surprise ending
As a celebration of Short Story month I’m offering a contest.
Here are the rules:
1. 1500 words or less (title not included)
2. No horror or sensual/errotica
3. All entries must be emailed to me by midnight May 31, 2012
4. Email entries to email@example.com
5. In the subject line put “Short Story Contest” and the title.
6. Cut and paste your story into the body of your email. (No attachments)
7. Include your name and contact information at the end of your email (Snail mail, daytime phone number, etc). T
Only one entry per email address
The stories will NOT be judged by me personally.
“So, what’s in it for me,” you ask.
The first, second and third place winners will get their stories published on my blog. All rights to your story stay with you once the contest is over.
Good Luck, and may the best short story win!